The average person receives a tax refund between €900-€1,100 per year. Surprisingly, millions of euros go unclaimed every year due to a lack of information. It’s important to know your rights. Even a small amount of money can make a lot of difference.

To help you understand tax rebates we have outlined some areas that are relevant to most people.

Special Diet Needs

You may be entitled to claim tax back if one or more medical conditions require you to consume a specific diet. Examples include individuals who are lactose intolerant or coeliac.

You’ll need a note from your doctor that explains why you can’t consume a normal diet and what kind of diet you require, such as gluten free food. In addition to this, you must retain relevant receipts.

Medical Expenses

Doctor bills can run into thousands. The government offers 20 percent tax back on bills can run into thousands. The government offers 20 percent tax back on and doctor fees. Non routine dental expenses include dental cleanings, dental fillings, etc.

Uniforms or Work Equipment

You may be entitled to a tax refund if the nature of your job requires you to launder and/or supply your own stationery, tools, or uniform. These are considered flat-rate expenses.

Education Expenses

You can claim tax relief on fees (including the student contribution) that you have paid for third level education courses.

Other charges and levies do not qualify for relief such as:

  • administration fees
  • student centre levy
  • sports centre charge
  • USI (Union of Students in Ireland) levy.

You may be the student, or you may pay the fees on the student’s behalf. However you can only claim the relief if you are the person who actually paid the fees.

The maximum amount you can claim is €7,000 per course, per person, per academic year.

Each claim is subject to a single disregard amount of €3,000 or €1,500 each tax year.

The first €3,000 is disregarded for of a full-time student or €1,500 for of a part-time student. If you have paid fees for more than one student, this disregard amount will only be deducted from your claim once.

Stay at Home Parent

You may apply for a tax refund if you’re married and spending time at home taking care of a dependent person including children. This relief is called the home carer tax credit.